Mark Rothko at Tate

I have been next to Mark Rothko’s paintings at Tate Modern lots of times. This visit was really special for me as I stayed there for a longest time and had a chance to see how public interrogate with art. I spent about four hours only in one room and only through this time I have really experience it. People been sitting next to me and discussing work and their deep emotions from space.

Watching the documentary before going to exhibition really reflected on my understanding and perception of the art. The idea of the whole space with amazingly large scale paintings really showed me another way of thinking and experimenting with size of the work. How the scale itself coulee make such a huge impact into the reading of the work. How by walking in the room we really walking into “artists world and emotions”. Mark Rothko didn’t want public to walk by his work of experience it for three minutes standing next to it. He was truly motivated by the idea how people could get much richer experience by entering the space with his paintings. The particular importance for me was understanding that art in this space were placed by exact instructions of Rothko. This gives it even more spiritual context and advantage of experience in the Rothko’s way.

While visiting the exhibition I have read couple of interviews with Mark Rothko’s children, who have a really interesting approach towards his art. His son was known to be really close to Mark and saved some personal diaries and notes which help to understand artists thinking and beliefs.